ARPA-H is a new government organization created by Joe Biden. In their words:
The Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) supports transformative research to drive biomedical and health breakthroughs – ranging from molecular to societal – to provide transformative health solutions for all.
They are running two programs: DASH and BAA. Here is my Second Entry.
Create New Submission in Six Easy Steps
1. Which focus area best fits your transformation? You can choose more than one.
√ Health Science Futures
√ Scalable Solutions
2. Provide a short title for your Submission to show in the bracket.
Federated Digital Twins
Characters Remaining: 7
3. Explain what transformation you are proposing. Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
Digital Twins let patients aggregate their detailed Health data on their phones.
Federated computing lets patients choose research studies to participate in without losing control of that data.
Characters Remaining: 5
4. Explain how is it done today, and what the limits of the current practice are.
Patient data is siloed in Hospitals, universities and corporations
So researchers can't assemble a statistically significant cohort for rare disease study or Randomized Clinical Trials
Characters Remaining: 14
5. Articulate what is new in your approach and why you think it will be successful and transformational.
"Federated" Patient records can be queried outside of silos while under patient control.
So researchers can (finally) accrue a statistically significant number of rare disease patients
Characters Remaining: 11
6. To support the previous question, attach a piece of formatted Evidence that strengthens your Bracket Entry. Make sure to provide a good Evidence statement that captures the fact from the cited work that is critical to successfully achieving the proposed transformation. The citation should be from a source published after January 1, 2018.
Add Supporting Evidence
DOI, Link, or Citation
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41746-020-00323-1 - The future of digital health with federated learning
https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000005916 - The Perioperative Human Digital Twin
https://www.statnews.com/2022/10/06/health-data-information-blocking-rec... - Data Liberation Day
Characters Remaining: 115 Help
"Liberate" EHRs from hospital silos by giving each patient their own phone-based "Digital Twin".
Create "Federated" studies/trials that Twins can opt in to. This especially helps rare disease studies.
Characters Remaining: 0